About New Story
We fund life-saving homes and transform slums into thriving communities. Our mission is to change trajectories for families, communities and the nonprofit sector. A clear vision motivates us: build 1,000 thriving communities around the world in 10 years.
In the summer of 2015, we were funded by Y Combinator, and in our first 24 months, we've raised more than $4.5M to build communities and to grow New Story. Innovation, impact results, hustle and a "value-first" approach to our work on the ground make up our DNA. The majority of team members could be professional chefs (you'll understand at weekly team dinners and quarterly retreats.)
The Business Development Director will lead the foundation of New Story's strategic growth and will be responsible for a percentage of overall revenue generation for annual and quarterly goals.
This position is for a leader with a relentless drive to deliver results and build a repeatable growth pipeline. Ideally, we're looking for someone with experience in sales, growth, or marketing from the for-profit startup environment, but we are open to hearing from other excellent candidates.
The Business Development Director's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Deliver Revenue Results
- Deliver a % of overall revenue growth.
- Work closely with the CEO to develop the strategy/execution plan and be a front-facing leader to makes these goals happen.
- Prospect potential new donors/partners using various direct methods (such as creative emailing, calling and face-to-face meetings), networking, and research.
- Secure home sponsorships, $6K+ campaigns and revenue generating partnership opportunities.
Create Bigger Opportunities and Traction Channels
- Develop Architect Program prospects and work with our CEO to secure the partnerships.
- Research, identify and qualify new 'Collections' (a new crowdfunding product for teams) prospects; act as primary contact for these opportunities.
- Test and iterate on different traction channels, and find the core traction channels that we will use to build our repeatable and scalable growth team.
Build Awesome Relationships
- Develop close relationships with the new donors and partners that you bring to New Story.
- Be creative in showing tremendous gratitude and appreciation.
The Type of Leader We Want
The right person is reading this and saying, "Wow, that's me!"
- You are a doer. You have a burning desire to make things happen... and then you do it.
- You take ownership and have a proven track record of results.
- You're known to be a clear and compelling communicator. This role will bring exposure to top brand partners, top leaders in Silicon Valley and our incredible existing donor base. We'll be counting on you to deliver our story to them.
- You are exceptional at building relationships. Engaging, interested in others, and interesting. You have a genuine appetite to meet extraordinary people, build a relationship with them, learn from them and get them involved with New Story.
- You adhere to a standard of excellence in all that you do and you're obsessed with learning and growing. Although you will not succeed at everything, you're constantly trying to produce great work and improve.
- You love being on a thriving team and you look forward to using your strong work ethic to make the team better for this demanding environment that continually strives for excellence.
The qualified candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree, with 2+ years of experience in business development, sales, growth or marketing leadership that directly produced measurable (and exceptional) results.
- A background and proven track record of generating revenue.
- Sophistication and confidence. You will be interacting with top leaders and you need to be able to earn their respect by being prepared and confident in what you're presenting.
- Ability to travel internationally at least once a quarter and domestically at least once a month.
- The resourcefulness and desire to help outside of your role.