About New Story
We fund life-saving homes and transform slums into thriving communities. Our mission is to change trajectories for families, communities and the nonprofit sector.
In the summer of 2015, we were funded by Y Combinator, and in our first 2.5 years, we've raised more than $6M to build communities and grow New Story. Innovation, impact results, hustle and a "beneficiary-driven" approach to our work on the ground make up our DNA. The majority of team members could be professional chefs (you'll understand at team dinners and retreats.)
The Business Development Associate will (a) build New Story's strategic growth pipeline in partnership with the CEO and will (b) be responsible for a producing a percentage of revenue each quarter.
This position is for someone with a relentless drive to deliver results, learn and improve, and use an entrepreneurial mindset to accomplish priorities. Ideally, we're looking for someone with experience in sales, growth, or marketing from the for-profit startup environment, but we are open to hearing from other excellent candidates.
The Business Development Associate's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Building Pipeline for Large Opportunities
- Work with Brett (New Story CEO) to build the pipeline of New Story's largest opportunities: 10+ home funding partners, Architect prospects, Builders and strategic partnerships.
- Prospect using various direct methods (such as creative emailing, calling and face-to-face meetings), networking, and research.
- Set meetings with qualified prospects. Then work with Brett to prepare for and follow up on the partnership opportunity. You will be learning the end to end process of larger partnership business development.
Deliver Revenue Results
- Work with Brett and Sarah Lee (Donor Experience Director) to develop the strategy and creative concepts to test, then be the front-facing leader to get the results.
- Deliver a % of overall quarterly revenue growth (for the level of 1-10 homes).
- Secure home sponsorships, SMB partnerships, $6K+ campaigns and "Collections" (a new crowdfunding product for teams).
- Test and iterate on different traction channels, and find the core traction channels that we will use to build our repeatable and scalable growth team.
The Type of Leader We Want
The right person is reading this and saying, "Wow, that's me!"
- You can execute. You don't make excuses - you take ownership and (thank you, Nike) you "just do it."
- You have a proven track record of results.
- You like the research and prospecting grind: building strategic prospect lists, a/b testing tactics, and copy, connecting dots, growing the funnel. You like it because you understand the importance of it.
- You're a clear and compelling communicator. This role will bring exposure to top brand partners, top leaders in Silicon Valley and our incredible existing donor base. You have to deliver our story to them.
- You are engaging, interested in others, and interesting. You have a genuine appetite to meet extraordinary people, build a relationship, learn from them and get them involved with New Story.
- You adhere to a standard of excellence in all that you do and you're obsessed with learning and growing. Although you will not succeed at everything, you're constantly trying to produce great work and improve.
- You also have fun -- you'll enjoy cooking dinner with the team, quarterly retreats (eg., Tahoe, Yosemite, beach houses), and going about your workday with an inspiring presence of joy and positivity
The qualified candidate will possess the following:
- 1-3 years of experience in business development, sales, growth or marketing leadership that directly produced measurable (and exceptional) results.
- Sophistication and confidence. You will be interacting with top leaders and you need to be able to earn their respect by being prepared and confident in what you're presenting.
- Ability to travel internationally at least once a quarter and domestically at least once a month.
- The resourcefulness and desire to help outside of your role (demonstrating our value of "team of founders") to make the overall team better.
Benefits and Details
- You'll join us in traveling to the field with us, all around the world, for unforgettable experiences!
- Unlimited vacation. We understand life is more than just work, you should have the ability to enjoy time with family, friends, and the things that interest you.
- This position is based in San Francisco and is available for anyone in or willing to relocate to San Francisco.
How To Apply
Please have a present/past supervisor, co-worker, or similar role vouch for you by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org - they should include your name and email address. We'll follow-up from there!