Who We Are
We're a small group of driven, friendly, and motivated people on a mission to change trajectories for families, communities and ultimately the larger nonprofit sector.
New Story is based in San Francisco, with part of our team located in Atlanta. Since starting, about 2 years ago, we've raised over $5M to fund 800+ homes in 7 communities around the world. Our journey has taken us through Y Combinator to recently being named one of Fast Company's 2017 Most Innovative Companies In The World.
Our team grew up around the world, from Georgia to Long Island to Venezuela, but we share common values: improve through learning, simplify, express gratitude and empathy, be a team of founders, and think big, breakdown, and execute.
About The Job
New Story is hiring a Rails software engineer who can join our team, start their own projects, and see them through to completion. You'll join our tech team and work alongside Morgan and Geraldine (in ATL) to build apps that will scale and improve our impact on the ground. You'll work heavily with Rails and React Native in a test driven environment. While you will mostly work to greenfield new tools and features, you will also help us improve our current tools that drive our crowdfunding, donation/donor management, and home ops processes.
You may feel like an imposter, we've been in the exact same boat. We'd encourage you to apply.
Your Technical Skills:
- Experience working on production level software.
- Strong Git skills.
- Strong Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL experience.
- Test Driven Development.
- You're thoughtful, kind, and eager to help others.
- You hustle and get stuff done.
- You communicate clearly and concisely.
- You set and accomplish clear goals.
- You are willing to learn and improve.
What We'll Build
Instead of trying to solve the global housing crisis alone (828 million people live in slum or inadequate housing) we're thinking differently about how we can power the social sector to work more effectively and efficiently to solve this crisis together. This means allowing organizations already building homes and communities to use our tech, process, and model.
For example, one of your first projects will be building an app that helps us measure the impact of a home. So not only will you help New Story solve this problem, you'll be laying the foundation that will be used by NGOs around the world to measure the impact their housing work is having.
Benefits and Details:
- This position is based in Atlanta, GA and is available for anyone in or willing to relocate to Atlanta.
- You'll join us in traveling to the field with us, all around the world, for unforgettable experiences!
- Unlimited vacation. We understand life is more than just work, you should have the ability to enjoy time with family, friends, or whatever interests you.
How To Apply
Please have someone credible vouch for you by emailing us at email@example.com (teachers, professors, and supervisors rank high in our book).