Who We Are:
We’re a team of founders pioneering solutions to design and build human-centered communities around the world. New Story is headquartered in San Francisco and we have a team/office in Atlanta. Since starting about 4 years ago, we’ve raised over $20M, and have funded 2,200+ homes in 16 communities around the world. Our journey has taken us through Y Combinator to being named one of Fast Company’s 2017 Most Innovative Companies In The World, and to creating the developing world’s first ever 3D home printer. We are fortunate to be backed by excellent partners and advisors.
A Welcoming Workplace For All:
New Story is a company at the forefront of social impact and technology. We build homes for families across the globe living in survival mode. We make this happen with innovative technology that makes our work more effective and we share our tech, processes, and learnings with others in the non-profit space so they can scale and grow as well. We know we will only succeed if we have a team who bring a wide variety of perspectives, beliefs, and backgrounds. Our team grew up around the world, from Turkey to Georgia to Venezuela, and we welcome all applicants, regardless of background, to apply. We work hard to create a welcoming culture of shared values and radical candor.
Benefits and Perks:
💛Change Trajectories. New Story started with building homes and now we’re on a mission to change the entire nonprofit sector. As a team member, you’ll quantify, know, and share the impact of our work on the ground.
⚕Premium Health Care: We believe in thriving communities and that starts with our team being happy and healthy. We offer generous health insurance, dental, and vision care. We also offer a monthly fitness stipend so you can invest in your own wellness and health.
⛷Time Off on Your Terms: Sure, we have unlimited vacation and you can take time for sickness, family, and fun as needed. But we believe in the value of taking time to reconnect and take care of yourself. We’ll ensure you’re taking time off to better yourself (and have fun).
📈Save for Retirement: We want to see each team member thrive and that includes saving money for the long-term. New Story offers full-time employees a 401k plan.
About the Role:
New Story currently has two ways for donors and partners to join us:
- Donating directly to build homes and communities.
- Joining “The Builders” – a program which funds our administrative costs, innovation, and R&D. The Builders program is an annual recurring revenue model which has been incredibly impactful and strategic to our growth.
Historically, donors or corporate partners that give to homes, are making one-time donations. There has not been a subscription-based, unique membership program. As we head into our 5th year, we are changing that, and we’re focused on making “home and community” fundraising a recurring membership program.
Having a program that’s funding communities on autopilot will enable us to focus more on improvements, forecasting, and proving innovations in our communities that we’ll then share with the sector to amplify global impact.
Our goal is to grow the recurring membership program from <30 to 300+ annual members (with annual recurring revenue of $2.5M+) by the end of 2019. Each member will commit to giving a minimum of $7,000 (one home) per year. You’ll be on our Marketing team, and will own making this happen.
For about 80% of your time, you’ll:
- Sell, recruit, and sign up new members
- Quarterly and monthly “sales” targets
- Build relationships with existing donors to convert into recurring home sponsors
- Test, refine, and execute various strategies to increase close rate
- Create and execute a referral program to build a pipeline for new prospective members
- Work with the brand team on the content, events, creative, etc., in order to deliver a world-class membership experience
The other 20% will be used with your “team of founders” value working on other strategic initiatives.
You’ll build a sustainable program of generous, strategic, long-term partners that will enable New Story to build transformative communities on autopilot each year. You’ll report directly to our Chief Brand Officer and will work closely with our CEO on strategy.
You Love Selling and Recruiting People
You have the unique ability to rally people behind what you’re passionate about. You believe in it wholeheartedly and you know how to sell in an empathetic, human-centered way. You know how to build a pipeline, get people’s attention, convert leads, and turn new customers/partners into raving fans that will recruit their friends. You’re obsessed with thoughtful follow-ups, detailed planning, expressing gratitude, having empathy, and being creative about how you can add value to others.
You’re Methodical, and You Execute
You know how to organize a plan and work through a sales funnel. Once there’s a strategy, you go after it and execute. You love seeing progress, learning what to improve, making changes, and updating the numbers. You’re detail-oriented, and you can turn a quarterly plan into clear weekly goals and daily tasks. You make the system and your disciplined habits power you to exceed goals.
You Have Excellent Communication Skills
You will be an outstanding representation of New Story’s mission, team, and all of our top stakeholders. You are great in-person, on the phone, and you can write compelling emails. You are exceptional at building relationships. Engaging, interested in others, and interesting. You have a genuine appetite to meet people, build a relationship with them, learn from them and get them involved with New Story.
You Have The Rare Blend: Tenacity and Humility
We look for team members who have a combination of personal humility and intense professional will. We continuously learn from each other, admit our mistakes, and have the drive to better ourselves every day. You have a very high standard of excellence in all that you do, and you’re obsessed with learning and growing.
You Have a Founder’s Mentality (Team of Founders)
At New Story, we never use the word, “employee.” People do not join New Story for a good job. Team members join New Story because they want to be part of creating a built-to-last organization that will impact tens of millions of people in need around the world. You’re a builder and owner with the mentality of a founder.
You Hustle, Hard
“Everyday I’m hustlin” by Rick Ross could be a song that describes your working style. You are a doer. You have a burning desire to make things happen… and then you do it. You take ownership and have a proven track record of results. You go the extra mile that others aren’t willing to go.
You’re not afraid to swing for the fences. You love trying new creative ideas even though the ideas might not work. You’re smart enough to know to take a calculated risk, that might not work, improve through learning, and then move on.
- Key responsibility: owning a membership sign-up quota in 2019
- Working with our CEO, Chief Brand Office and the Brand team on strategy and improvements to the program
- Ensuring excellent experiences (events, trips, content, etc.) for members
- Annual retention of members and ensuring payments are made
- Working with the Brand and Ops teams to deliver new content for all members
THE MUST HAVES:
- Unquestionable alignment with New Story’s core values
- An entrepreneurial spirit to build a new program, and previous success in building a program, movement, special project or new venture
- 3+ years of experience in business development or sales that produced exceptional results
- Ability and desire to travel about once a month to mostly LA, NYC, SEA, CHI, ATL, SF, and to Haiti, El Salvador, and Mexico
- Proven track record of working well in a collaborative team setting and resourcefulness to help outside of your role
- Unwavering determination and work ethic to be the best possible version of yourself and to intentionally grow as a leader
- An incredibly high level of self-discipline and winning daily habits
How to Apply
To apply, carve out 20 minutes and fill out an application.
Not sure? Learn More About New Story