New Story’s Spring 2021 cohort began in April. We will begin accepting Summer 2021 applications in June.
ABOUT NEW STORY
New Story has taken big swings at tackling the global housing crisis: we’ve built more than 2,300 homes in 26 communities across Haiti, El Salvador, Bolivia, and Mexico, created an open-source software solution shared with more than 25 organizations in four continents, and printed the first permitted 3D-printed community in history. However, we know the work to bridge the gap for the more than 1.6 billion people without access to adequate housing requires collective effort in the sector to innovate and build quicker.
There are many proven examples across the globe, and we are aiming to study and compile a comprehensive guide to affordable and sustainable housing innovations. Our goal is to open-source the knowledge gained in building affordable housing communities to government entities and organizations in the sector to be implemented and together close the housing gap.
SUMMARY OF THE FELLOWSHIP
You’ll research innovations and best practices in the affordable housing space to contribute to New Story’s efforts to end homelessness worldwide, with a current focus on Latin America. You will also have the opportunity to contribute to New Story’s current development of projects and innovations for the sector in areas of finance, data, housing production (architecture, engineering, and construction), and social and promotion.
As part of this Fellowship, you will:
- Be a part of interdisciplinary fellows from around the globe
- Join coffee-chats with like-minded individuals to discuss topics related to social housing
- Be inspired by a team of individuals that have dedicated their careers to housing innovation
- Have the opportunity to present your ideas and expand your presentation and deliverables skills
- Have an open space where you can continue to grow into other cohorts and leadership opportunities
- Potentially shape research into projects or experiments with the New Story team
- Work with task force-like projects such as the COVID-19 rent relief program
A total of 8 hours minimum weekly is required to be considered part of this fellowship. This is an unpaid, remote volunteer position. This deep dive into a specific housing typology or innovation will serve as the foundation for New Story’s long-term strategy and selection criteria for innovative projects to pursue.