You’ll research affordable housing innovations and typologies in Mexico to ensure that New Story is pursuing the highest leverage solutions to eradicate homelessness in one full city.
ABOUT NEW STORY
We pioneer solutions to end global homelessness. We work with local organizations around the world to build successful, thriving communities, and we are fully committed to researching and developing new ways of building better and faster. We’re a young team based in Atlanta and San Francisco. Usually, you can find us drinking coffee or bubble tea and eating churros wherever we can find them.
ABOUT CITY ONE
New Story has approached our 5 year anniversary. We’ve taken some big swings at tackling the global housing crisis: we’ve built 22 communities in 4 countries impacting 11,000+ lives, created an open-source software solution shared with 25+ organization in 4 continents, and 3D printed the 1st community in history. We now want to maximize our impact on the 1.6+B people in the world without access to adequate housing by focusing our efforts to eradicate homelessness in one specific city.
By 2025, our goal is to end homelessness in One City: we want to transfer all the knowledge gained in building affordable housing communities and deep focus on R&D solutions into this one city. By focusing on one specific location, we will be able to deep-dive into all the intricacies of ending homelessness outside of just building ground-up, prove that our mission statement of “ending global homelessness” is in fact possible, and develop a playbook for other governments, NGOs and non-profits to apply in other regions.
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
To achieve this audacious goal, we first need to do an extensive research of the most innovative affordable housing solutions, typologies and programming. As a Research Fellow, you will analyze case studies and innovative solutions for a specific housing or urban planning intervention in Mexico, including but not limited to:
- housing typologies (ground-up construction, retrofitting, preservation strategies, infill, self-built, incremental housing, prefabrication, ADU’s, micro-homes single-family, multi-family, zoning changes for density, etc.)
- financial innovations (micro-loans, innovative financial models and subsidies, innovative inventive models tax credits, preservation credits, federal / state / municipal financial incentives, etc.)
- policy innovations (zoning, streamline development/permitting process, etc.)
- support services (homelessness shelters, innovative assistance programs, temporary housing, etc.).
A total of 10 hours minimum weekly is required to be considered part of this fellowship. This is an unpaid volunteer position. This deep-dive into a specific housing typology or innovation will guide New Story to select the top solutions to pursue in City One. This research will serve as the foundation for New Story’s 5-year strategy and selection criteria for all R&D projects to pursue.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR…
- Bi-weekly update emails on status of research, findings, and major trends. The research deliverables will be organized in provided templates and will include:
- case studies of your selected type of housing / urban plan intervention
- biggest challenges / barriers of entry in pursuing this type of intervention
- biggest innovations for this type of intervention
- potential informational interviews of experts in the topic
- Monthly video calls to summarize biggest findings and email updates
- Selection of top innovations and/or case studies from your final thesis that you propose New Story should pursue as a R&D pilot in City One
YOU MUST HAVE…
- Experience in construction management, structural engineering, civil engineering, architecture, affordable housing, housing finance, housing policy, or related field
- Minimum 3 years of university experience
- Professional fluency in English (required) and Spanish (preferred)
- Sophisticated communication, organization, creativity and interpersonal skills