As New Story closes out our 5th year as an organization, we’re doubling down on a scalable engine to run our organization in 2020 and beyond. We expect to triple our major gift fundraising in 2020 and are looking for a team of relationship-focused revenue strategists and drivers to help us do it.
Development Directors will focus on one of two areas: (there will be one role for each)
1. The Builders are a unique group of donors who cover all of our operational expenses, innovations and enable our 100% model. These donors are typically high-net-worth families and individuals who give $50K+ per year to New Story.
2. The Architects are a unique group of donors who cover all of our programmatic expenses and a percentage of our R&D funding. These donors are typically high-net-worth families and individuals who give $10K+ per year to New Story.
In partnership with the cofounder/CEO and Chief Growth Officer, these roles will help design and implement a sustainable development strategy to increase philanthropic revenue from a diverse portfolio of high net worth leaders and brand partners.
These roles (two available) will mentor and lead a team of fundraisers to achieve ambitious revenue and renewal goals year over year, while delivering excellent stewardship experiences for our supporters.
• Develop and deliver a clearly defined major donor fundraising strategy that is repeatable year over year, including short and long-term measurable key performance indicators to drive growth goals for each member of the team and yourself
• Mentor and lead a team of fundraisers to achieve ambitious revenue and renewal goals year over year, while delivering excellent stewardship experiences
• Personally manage and grow a diverse portfolio of major donors (including individuals, brand partners, family foundations, and faith partners)
• Support the creation and major gift strategy for new fundraising initiatives
• Work with the brand/marketing team to develop creative and impactful content and reporting that connects major donors with our work and their impact, to increase renewal rates and gift size
• Oversee the development, documentation, and implementation of a stewardship program that will include cultivation events, special programs/pilots and gift-recognition policies that deliver an innovative, creative, and exceptional donor experience
• Work with the major gifts team and event manager to plan and execute cultivation and stewardship events for major donors throughout the year, including New Story’s annual gala and Vision Trips
• Ensure effective development operations and drive fundraising best practices by building and/or refining the appropriate systems, tools, and processes to support the team’s work, including donor prospecting, research, analytics, and communications
• 5+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts OR experience leading a sales team
• 2+ years experience growing and leading teams
• Demonstrated experience raising (or selling) $5 million+ annually (total contract value) from a diverse mix of individual donors and foundations
• Success in soliciting and closing 6-figure+ gifts from individuals
• Outstanding ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-lasting relationships
• Experience in building and managing a development department and mentoring development staff and/or regional fundraisers toward increasing levels of success
• Demonstrated ability for handling multiple, complex fundraising initiatives simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
• The ability to drive innovation, change, and growth, and be a detail-oriented implementer who can mobilize small teams to translate strategy into results
• Superb relationship management, interpersonal, and communication (written and oral) skills, including the ability to inspire and hold accountable diverse internal and external stakeholders (including funders, peers, direct manager and reports, board members and supporters)
• Experience setting, owning, and reporting on OKRs or KPIs for a team
• Ability to participate in evening and weekend events
• Experience effectively using a CRM tool
• Ability to travel at least 33% of the time (domestically and internationally)
You’re a strategic thinker.
You have the strategic prowess and social intelligence required to help build scalable models that leverage New Story’s brand, assets, relationships and opportunities to meet aggressive growth goals.
You love a challenge.
You are resourceful and creative to find solutions. Big hairy goals don’t scare you – they inspire you.
You can pitch. Confidently and passionately.
You’re comfortable asking for money and are not afraid to hear no. You possess a keen ability to sell ideas and close deals. You operate with poise, dignity, and reliability.
You have a team ethos and love working with people.
You thrive in a creative, inventive, fast-paced startup environment, with people who are passionate about their work and mission. You’re excited to work cross-functionally with other departments and enjoy bringing people together to achieve a goal. People enjoy working with you because they know they can trust you.
You see something that can be improved, and you don’t wait to fix it. You have a strong desire to make New Story a world-class organization
This opportunity is for those located in (or willing to relocate to) Atlanta, GA or San Francisco, CA.